As a website owner, the safety and security of your online platform are one of your top priorities. That’s why security testing tools are essential to check your web applications.
For instance, security testing can help you detect potential threats. As such, it catches SQL injection vulnerabilities and bugs that could harm your website or lead to data breaches. Here are some of the most potent security testing tools available today.
Table of Contents
InSpec is a powerful security testing tool designed to help security professionals. Likewise, it ensures safety and compliance across their development environments.
Aside from that, InSpec is an open-source framework that uses human and machine-readable language. From there, it provides users with an automated way to detect security vulnerabilities.
With InSpec, developers can see common weaknesses such as:
- Cross-site scripting
- SQL injection
- Manual security testing
- Dynamic application security testing
The features of InSpec that make it such a powerful security testing tool are:
- Automated checks for common weaknesses like cross-site scripting, SQL injection, etc.
- Manual security tests for those vulnerabilities that don’t have automated checks.
- Dynamic application security testing for applications in production.
- Audit systems against industry standards like CIS Benchmarks or custom compliance profiles.
- Intuitive language for specifying any policy requirement or compliance rule.
- Detailed reporting on the results of each assessment.
- Compliance dashboard where users can track the progress of their assessments over time.
2) Bright Security
Bright Security is an innovative security testing platform that helps enhance DevSecOps. It also complies with regulatory requirements. Plus, it provides real-time, actionable reports of security vulnerabilities with zero false positives.
The platform’s ML-based DAST solution helps to identify business logic vulnerabilities in—
- Web applications
- APIs (REST/SOAP/GraphQL)
Likewise, Bright offers many features that make it a powerful security testing tool, including:
- Automated scanning of web applications and APIs to detect potential risks and threats.
- Results from CISO and security team for complete visibility into vulnerabilities.
- Tickets are automatically opened in the bug tracking system for developers to fix any issues quickly.
- Advanced analytics allow the rapid identification of trends from various sources.
- Easy integration with existing DevOps tools such as Jenkins for continuous automated testing.
- Multi-level threat detection.
- Advanced visualization capabilities, resulting in easy-to-read charts, graphs, heatmaps, etc.
- AI-driven rule inference system allows users to create custom rules based on their criteria.
3) OWASP ZAP
OWASP ZAP, or Zed Attack Proxy Zap, is an open-source network security testing tool for major operating systems. As such, users new to application security and professional penetration testers can use it.
Moreover, OWASP provides a graphical user interface (GUI) control panel. As such, it allows users to manipulate traffic flowing through the tool, including HTTPS traffic. It also runs in daemon mode, controlled via a REST API.
What makes OWASP such a powerful security testing tool is its wide range of features and capabilities, such as:
- GUI control panel. An intuitive interface makes launching scans, test configurations, and view results easy.
- Traditional and AJAX web crawlers. Automatically discover potential vulnerabilities in web applications.
- Automatic active and passive scanning. Scan for a wide range of security vulnerabilities with active and passive scanning capabilities.
- Forced browsing. Identify hidden pages or directories exposed on a public website.
- Fuzzing. Test inputs to find unexpected behavior or errors in the application code.
- WebSocket scanning support. Search for potential vulnerabilities in WebSockets-based messages.
- Support for multiple scripting languages. Automate tests through scripting languages such as Groovy, Jython, and JRuby.
- Support for Plug-n-Hack via its plugin-based architecture. Easily extend the capabilities of OWASP Zap by adding different plugins.
- Online free marketplace. A regularly updated marketplace allows users to access new features added by community members.
Wfuzz is a powerful security testing tool designed for web application penetration testing. It provides an easy-to-use interface to execute flexible attacks against web applications. As such, it covers basic fuzzing and brute-forcing to more advanced techniques.
Also, Wfuzz has some unique features that make it a powerful security testing tool:
- Application Vulnerability Scanner. Utilizes various automated security testing tools scanner. This allows it to identify the most common vulnerabilities in web applications quickly. Likewise, it lets testers identify security issues easily.
- Modular Plugin Framework. Have a plugin framework that makes it easy for Python developers to create plugins. As such, it enables users to customize their Wfuzz setup according to their needs. That said, it allows you to use the most advanced security testing tools.
- Simple Language Interface. Provide a simple language interface that gives testers complete control over the previous HTTP requests or responses. Subsequently, it allows testers to debug and identify potential issues in a web application quickly. Likewise, there is no need to investigate each request or response manually.
Overall, ensure your web applications are safe and secure with an automated, manual, or static application security testing tool. Also, maintain and use these tools regularly to cut the risk of data breaches or other malicious activities.