Are you witnessing unexpected pop-ups, missing files, slow functioning, frequent system crashes, etc.? If yes, then the most probable reason behind this is that your system is infected with a virus. But what is a computer virus? A computer virus is a malicious software which replicates itself and enters into other files. Without the user’s knowledge, it can damage important files, data, and resources by corrupting them. so the question is, does VPN Protect You from Viruses?
The primary motive of such a computer virus is to infect your system in various ways and gain control over it to steal sensitive information or data. The worst part is that some viruses are designed with financial gains in mind. Hence, it becomes essential to take preventive measures to keep your computer and the sensitive data stored in it safely.
What is a VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual private network which creates a secured tunnel between you and your computer. A public internet connection lets you create a private network and enables you to maintain your online privacy. There are various functions of a VPN that are mentioned below:
- While you browse the internet on an unsecured Wi-Fi network, your online identity and privacy come at a risk. In such a scenario, what a VPN does is encrypting your data, making it readable, and thus safeguarding your personal information.
- Not just this, it even keeps your browsing history private, which was otherwise accessible by your internet service provider.
- With your IP address, your location, as well as your search history, can be accessed. VPN uses an Internet Protocol address, which is not yours, and thus maintains your online privacy and web anonymity.
- VPN also enables you to bypass geo-blocks. Geo-blocking is how content providers can have control over the areas where their content is shown in the form of websites, movies, TV shows, and music.
What is an Antivirus?
Apart from viruses, there are different types of malware intentionally designed to harm your computer like Trojans, adware, spyware, ransomware, etc. And an antivirus is software that protects against all malware. Its primary function is to prevent, detect, and remove all kinds of threats and vulnerabilities. The most common way malware enters your system is through pop-up ads and spam websites.
An antivirus blocks any such suspicious websites and malicious virus-containing pop-up ads. Even hackers use malware or a virus to access your computer details, which they send through emails. After this, they can damage or delete your data and even steal your important information like banking details. Such fraudulent cases are quite common in today’s time. Thus Antivirus becomes necessary to stay safe as it also comes with the feature of keeping you safe online from hackers. If you are not willing to pay for it, you can even go for a free antivirus program.
Does a VPN protect you from viruses?
VPN performs several functions to protect you from cyber threats, but sadly protection from viruses does not come under that. If you have a VPN in your system and think that your system is safe from viruses, then you are wrong. Since VPN creates a secure tunnel and encrypts your data, making it unreadable, your data becomes inaccessible and remains safe. The best VPN does offer protection from malware, but the protection is incomplete, and it is not as effective as an antivirus.
Antivirus scans your device regularly to keep a close eye on viruses or malware. Not just this, but the Antivirus also keeps bringing new updates to stay one step ahead of the virus and other threats. The fact that VPN does protect your computer in myriad ways cannot be denied, but it can’t do anything if a virus is present on your computer. Antivirus is a must to have in your system.
Best VPN Providers to Use Along With Antivirus:
From the points mentioned above, we can say that it’s always better to use a VPN and an antivirus. The below-mentioned VPNs are some of the best to use along with an antivirus:
- Surfshark VPN – It is an award-winning VPN Provider that offers an array of advanced features. It is an excellent choice if you need a VPN on unlimited number of devices. If you are looking for the best Surfshark deals, you can check the Dealarious Store.
- ZenMate VPN – It is trusted by over 2.5 million users worldwide as it uses strong encryption to keep your data and personal information safe. This VPN has been a complete success in hiding your IP address to safeguard your online identity and maintain your anonymity.
- Nord VPN – This VPN service provider provides you an ultra-fast connection and ensures you bulletproof privacy. With one subscription, it lets you connect up to six devices. It also provides an extra layer of security or double protection by changing your IP twice.
- ExpressVPN – It offers the best-in-class encryption, which provides reliable online protection to defeat the hackers and even unblocks Netflix US. It is one of the most user-friendly apps which browses privately and securely as it also offers you a 30 days trial period.
The above discussion clearly states that a VPN is not enough to protect your computer from viruses. Thus, if you wish to provide full protection to your system, then the best way is to use a VPN along with an antivirus.