Zoom is one of the most popular video conferencing software nowadays. There are millions of users who use Zoom for video conferencing online. If you are using Zoom on your PC, and facing the Zoom keeps crashing or freezing issue, then you just have come to the right place. In this guide, we have described how you can fix this annoying issue of Zoom video conferencing software.
Recently, many Zoom users have faced the Zoom keeps crashing issue on their devices. They just open Zoom on their PC, and try to join a Zoom meeting, but it says, “Zoom quit unexpectedly.” This problem can affect your Zoom experience and might interfere with your important meetings on the platform. However, if you are facing this problem on Zoom, and trying to fix it, then you can just follow the guide below that we have described. We have provided a step-by-step guide to fix this problem of Zoom easily. You can also read about fixing Zoom is unable to detect a camera issue.
Table of Contents
Why is Zoom crashing or Keeps Freezing on Your PC?
While using Zoom on a PC, many users face different issues. And Zoom crashing on their PC is one of the most common problems. However, the primary reason behind this issue of Zoom is not known. But, there are some common reasons why you might face this problem on Zoom. Below, we have described the most common reasons behind this issue of Zoom.
- Low Resources: If your PC is running in low resources, then you might face this problem with Zoom. Zoom requires minimum RAM and CPU to be run on your PC. So, if you don’t have enough free RAM or CPU on your PC, it might crash automatically on your PC.
- Another App is Using Camera: If another app like Skype or another video conferencing software are using the camera of your PC, and you are trying to open Zoom and join meeting at the same time, then you can also face this problem of Zoom. You can’t use the camera of your PC at the same time with two different software. So, this could be another reason behind this problem of Zoom.
- Camera Driver: The next reason behind Zoom keeps crashing, or freezing issue could be the camera driver of your PC. If the camera driver of your PC isn’t updated, then you can face these types of issues.
- Hardware Acceleration: Hardware acceleration is a feature of Zoom that helps you to consume the maximum resources of your PC to get better video quality on Zoom. Although it is a helpful feature, but you might face low resources on your PC because of it, and Zoom might crash unexpectedly. So, this could be a reason behind this issue of Zoom.
- Zoom Server is Down: Although the chances are low, but sometimes, Zoom servers could be down. And if you are trying to access Zoom at that moment, you might face errors like this on the video conferencing platform.
No matter the reason, you can just follow the solutions below to fix the Zoom crashing issue on your PC or laptop.
How to Fix Zoom Keeps Crashing or Freezing?
Below, we have described the methods to fix this issue with Zoom. So, you can follow the methods and fix it easily.
1. Restart PC
Before following any other methods, the first thing you can do to fix Zoom keeps crashing or freezing issue is, you should restart your PC once. Sometimes, many problems of PC or laptop could be solved with a simple restart. So, just do a restart, and then see if it works or not. If it’s working, then you don’t need to follow any other methods. However, if it’s not working, you can follow the next methods below to fix this problem of Zoom.
2. Check Zoom Server
Next, just to be sure, check if Zoom server is online or not. Sometimes, Zoom servers can get offline because of many reasons. So, you have to check if Zoom servers are working, and then follow other methods. You can simply go to this link and check if Zoom servers are working. If it’s showing that there are issues with the Zoom server, then you have to wait until the servers are fixed.
3. Close Resource Consuming Apps
Next, you have to close the apps that are consuming unnecessary RAM and CPU of your PC. Becaus of low resources, you may face Zoom keeps crashing or freezing issue on your PC. So, just close the apps that are consuming resources, and then see if it’s working. Below, we have described how you can do that. So, follow the process below to close the memory and CPU-consuming apps on your PC.
- First of all, right-click on the taskbar of Windows.
- Then, go to the ‘Task manager’ option.
- Now, sort the apps by CPU and RAM consuming percentage and close unnecessary apps from your PC. Make sure you don’t end process of Windows system processes.
That’s it. Now, just open Zoom and see if it works.
4. Update Camera Driver
The next method to fix Zoom keeps crashing or freezing issue on PC is to update your PC’s camera driver. If there’s an issue with the camera driver, and Zoom cannot access your PC’s camera, you might face a Zoom crashing issue. So, just update the camera driver of your PC, and then see if it works. Below, we have described how you can do that easily. So, follow the step by step guide below to do that.
- First of all, open the search option of your Windows PC and search for ‘Device manager’ and open it.
- Then, from the device driver list, choose the ‘Cameras’ or ‘Imaging devices’ and right click on it.
- Choose the ‘Update driver’ option from there.
- Now, click on the ‘Automatically update drivers’ option and proceed.
- That’s it. Now, just update the drivers and complete the process.
After updating the camera driver, just open Zoom, and see if it’s working on your PC.
5. Disable Hardware Acceleration on Zoom
Just like Google Chrome, you also get the hardware acceleration feature on Zoom that helps you to get better feature using hardware acceleration. However, when it’s turned on, you might face Zoom crashing or keeps closing issue sometimes. If you want to fix it, you have to disable the hardware acceleration feature on Zoom. Below, we have described how you can do that easily. So, just follow the process below to do that.
- First of all, open Zoom on your PC.
- Click on the gear or Settings icon from the upper corner of your PC.
- Then, go to the ‘Video’ option from there.
- There, you’ll get the ‘Enable hardware acceleration for video processing’ option. Turn it off.
- That’s it. Now, close and restart Zoom on your PC.
See if it’s still crashing or freezing on your PC.
6. Close Interfering Software
There could be interfering software running on your PC that might already use the camera. And because of this, you might face the Zoom crashing issue on your PC. So, you have to close the interfering software like Skype or Google Meet, and then try to open Zoom on your PC. Below, we have described how you can do that. So, follow the process below to do that easily.
- First of all, right-click on the taskbar of Windows and choose the ‘Task Manager’ option.
- Then, see which are the interfering software and click on ‘End process’ option to close it.
That’s it. Now, restart Zoom, and see if it’s working.
7. Reinstall Zoom
Last but not least, the method to fix Zoom crashing or keeps freezing issues is to reinstall Zoom on your PC. This is the ultimate solution to fix this problem of Zoom. You can just uninstall Zoom from the ‘Control panel’ option, and then download the latest version of Zoom on your PC. Then, install it, and then see if it works.
Those who joins video meetings regularly, Zoom is an important software for them. If they are not able to use Zoom, it could be a headache for the users. So, if you are facing a crashing or keeps freezing issue on this software, then you can follow the above method and fix this problem of Zoom easily. Just go though the methods one by one, and see which one works for you. If you have any questions or queries, you can ask in the comment section below. You can also provide your feedback in the comment section.