How To Make An Afk Channel In Discord:– Discord is an excellent application designed and developed by keeping gamers in mind. Using discord, players can always stay connected with their teammates through voice chat to communicate and coordinate. Moreover, you can also create your own servers on Discord and invite as many people as you want in it without any issues. It’s a perfect place where you can meet up with new people and converse with them through voice chat and texts.
However, as a server owner or admin, there’s a good chance that you might have noticed your server become unresponsive and slow when there are a lot of people in a voice channel. Therefore, it’s recommended to kick users who are inactive. But, you don’t have to do that, instead, you can move inactive users to discord afk channel where users won’t be able to text on the server.
Today, in this article, you will be learning how to create an AFK channel in discord within a few simple steps. Let’s go ahead and start off the guide without wasting any further time.
What Is AFK Channel In Discord?
In case if you didn’t know, the term “AFK” stands for “Away From Keyboard” meaning, the user has moved from their computer or isn’t actively using the Discord app on their computers. It basically denotes a state wherein a discord user has left their computer or laptop and ends up staying away from the computer for a long period of time.
As a result of this, your channel may look active but in reality, the users are no longer active, meaning, they have stopped using discord actively on their computers, they’re simply occupying space or sports in the channel. Fortunately, Discord has a feature that allows you to automatically move AFK users to an AFK channel. Now let’s dive into How To Create AFK channel In Discord.
|Offered By||Discord Inc.|
|Latest Version:||Discord 10.3.2|
|Total User||150 Million+|
|Product||Hammer & Chisel, Inc. / Discord|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux|
How To Make An Afk Channel In Discord
Creating an AFK channel in discord is just a matter of minutes, however, the process could be tricky if you’re new to the Discord platform. In case if you’re unable to figure out the process, then go ahead and follow the steps mentioned in the below guide.
- Firstly, open up the Discord app on your smartphone or PC and head over to your server.
- Tap on the (+) symbol located right next to the text “Voice Channels” to create a new channel.
- On the next screen, select the channel type and change it to a voice channel to proceed further.
- Type the channel name as “AFK” and click on the “Create” option to create the channel.
- Go ahead and check if the “AFK” channel is listed under Voice Channels on your server.
- Now tap on your “Server Name” located on the top of the interface and choose “Server Settings”.
- Scroll down a bit in the “Overview” section and locate the “AFK channel” option to proceed
- Tap on the AFK channel option to open the drop-down menu and choose your AFK channel.
- Now select your AFK time out in the next option and click on the “Save Changes” option.
The voice channel you have created will now be converted into an AFK channel. In the timeout option, you can choose any time limit of your choice. The AFK timeout option simply denotes how long a discord user has to be inactive in order to be moved to the AFK channel in your server.
After saving the changes. Discord will automatically detect inactive users in your voice channels and move them to the AFK channel where users won’t be able to chat or text as long as they’re in the AFK channel. They will have to manually leave the AFK channel in order to be able to send text messages or voice chat on the server.
Also Read:- how to screen share on discord
How To Convert An Existing Channel To AFK Channel?
As a server admin, you also have the option to convert an existing channel in your server into an AFK channel. Meaning, you don’t have to create a new channel for this, you can simply select an existing channel and turn it into an AFK channel. In order to do that, you can follow these steps.
- Go ahead and launch the Discord application on your PC or smartphone to get started.
- Head over to your Server and click on the “Server Name” to open up the context menu.
- Choose “Server Settings” in the menu and find the “AFK” channel option in the “Overview” section.
- Click on the AFK channel option and select an existing channel in the drop-down menu to proceed.
- Now select your desired AFK timeout and click on the “Save Changes” option to finish the process.
That’s pretty much all, the channel you have chosen in the “Overview” tab will be turned into an AFK channel within a few seconds. Here also you can change the AFK timeout, which determines how long a user needs to be inactive before they’re automatically moved to the AFK channel in your server.
Q:- What is AFK channel in discord?
A:-“AFK” stands for “Away From Keyboard” meaning, the user has moved from their computer or isn’t actively using the Discord app on their computers.
Q:-How does Discord determine a user is AFK?
A:- Firstly it’s checking for you registered as talking in the voice channel. Then it’s check for many minutes the AFK timer is set for the server after those two steps will be moved to the AFK channel.
Q:- How Do I Make an AFK Channel in Discord?
A:- Just follow the above mention guideline you will definitely make AFK channel.
As soon as you’re done creating an AFK channel in your server, Discord will start moving inactive users to the AFK channel after a certain period of time. Using the above-mentioned steps, you can create a fully functional AFK channel in pretty much any server, as long as you’re the owner or admin of that server. You can also test it out yourself by sitting idle for the amount of time you have specified while creating an AFK channel.
Apart from this, having an AFK channel is also helpful where users can manually join in order to avoid being distracted by notifications, etc. Now you don’t have to install any AFK bots, like before, to create a functional AFK channel in your discord server. Let us know if you face any issues or have any doubts.