What is CNC?
And what are the benefits of outsourcing CNC machining services? CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machining is a subtractive manufacturing technology: parts are created by removing material from a solid block (called the blank or workpiece) using a variety of cutting tools.
This is a fundamentally different way of producing compared to additive (3D printing) or formative (injection molding) technologies. The material removal mechanisms have a significant impact on the advantages, limitations and design limitations of CNC. More about this below.
Digital production technology for companies
CNC machining services is a digital manufacturing technology: it produces high-precision parts with excellent physical properties directly from a CAD file. Due to the high degree of automation, CNC is price competitive for both one-off custom parts and medium-sized productions.
Almost any material can be CNC milled. The most common examples are metals (aluminum and steel alloys, brass, etc.) and plastics (ABS, Delrin, Nylon, etc.). Foam, composites and wood can also be processed.
The basic CNC process can be divided into 3 steps. The engineer first designs the CAD model of the part. The operator then converts the CAD file into a CNC program (G code) and sets up the machine. Finally, the CNC system performs all operations with little supervision, removes material and creates the part.
Powerful automation that makes CNC outsourcing easy
What are the benefits of outsourcing CNC services? 3D Hubs has listed them for you:
- Receive an online quote directly on the website
- Upload your CAD file online to receive a guaranteed quote in seconds and save your quote to lock in the price.
- Customized automated DfM feedback
- You can get automatic feedback on the manufacturability of your parts within the interface, making it faster and easier to iterate over your design.
- Online order management and its own account manager
- Easily manage orders online, track deliveries and share important details with others on your team. All-in-1 system!