Discord is a well-known social media platform nowadays. Mostly used by gamers, Discord has many features that users can use to communicate with their groups. It is available for the most popular platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. You can either use it in your browser, or you can download the Discord app on your preferred device, and use it. However, most people prefer to use the Discord app as it is more reliable. While using the Discord app, it gets an automatic update. However, one of the most common problems that people face while updating the Discord app is the Discord update failed loop.
There are many users who have complained about this problem. So, if you have faced the same issue, and searching for a solution, then you just have come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll share the method to solve the Discord update failed loop on your Windows or Mac PC. You can solve this problem easily. Just follow the method steps, to solve the update issue on Discord. Below, we have provided the step-by-step guide to solve the update error or loop on Discord. So, you’ll be able to solve it easily without any issues. You can also read about Discord No Route Error.
What is the Discord update failed loop?
In the Discord app, users get automatic updates frequently. However, while updating the app, many users have faced the update error issue. You usually get this error when updating the app. This can be seen on both the Windows and Mac versions of Discord. In this problem, you get an infinite loop of updates and it doesn’t end. So, it’s really frustrating when you get this error on Discord. But, you can solve the problem easily without any issues. There are many fixes are available for this problem.
When you get the update loop on Discord, you can’t open the app and use its features. So, it becomes a problem for the users who want to use the app and can’t use it because of the update loop. You want to fix a bug in the Discord app, and when you update it, it gets stuck in an infinite loop. It is one of the most common problems that Discord users face. There are various reasons why users face the updated failed issue on Discord. We have described some of the reasons below. To fix the issue, you can try out the fixes below and fix the issue easily without any issues.
Why users face Discord update failed loop error?
- Corrupted Files: Corrupted files can be a reason why users face this issue. Maybe the Discord system files have got corrupted and because of this reason, you are facing this issue. It could happen due to a virus attack or a major Windows update. So, corrupted Discord files can be an issue why you face the update failed error on Discord.
- Server Issue: It could also be the Discord update server issue. So, when you try to update it, it doesn’t get any response from the server. In that case, you can try again later and check if it’s updating or not.
- Security Block: The security software on your PC can also block the update process. So, that could be another reason why you face the update loop on Discord.
- Network Issue: Network issue also could be the problem why you face this error. Maybe the Internet connection that you are using isn’t stable and you are stuck in the Discord updated failed loop. In that case, you should try to use a good Internet connection and check the issue is solved or not.
How to Fix Discord updated failed loop on Windows?
1. Restart Your PC
The first thing that you should do when you are stuck in the update error is, you should restart your PC. A simple restart can solve many problems with your PC. So, you should do a restart first, and then see if the issue is solved or not.
2. Check Discord Status
If the issue is with the internal server of Discord, then you can do nothing but wait for the server to be fixed. So, just check if the sever of Discord is working or not. You can check it by simply going to https://discordstatus.com/.
3. Run Discord as Administration
This is another effective fix that you can try to solve Discord update failed error loop on your Windows PC or laptop. You can simply run Discord as administration and check if it’s working or not. So, just run it as administrator to fix the issue.
To run the Discord app as administration, just follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the Discord shortcut and click on ‘Run as administration’.
- When the pop-up box comes, click on ‘Yes’.
- That’s it. Now, it’ll run the program as administrator. Check if you can update it or not.
4. Disable Antivirus/Windows Defender
If you have installed any antivirus program on your PC, then you should try disabling it and then check for the Discord update. Sometimes, antivirus programs can block the firewall and cause the updated failed issue on Discord.
Even if you have enabled Windows Defender on your Windows PC or laptop, try to disable it and check for the update. Many users have reported that after disabling the antivirus, they have been able to solve the Discord update issue. So, you can try that out and check.
- To disable the antivirus on your PC, just right-click on the antivirus from the taskbar and click on Disable option.
- It’ll ask you to set the disabled time. Just set it to until the next restart.
- Now, open Discord and check for updates.
If you want to disable Windows defender, you can also do that easily.
- Open Settings on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, go to the Update and Security option.
- From the left side, click on the ‘Windows Security’ option.
- Now, click on the ‘Open Windows security’ option.
- There, you’ll get the option to disable Windows defender.
- Disable it, and check if you are still getting the update loop on Discord.
5. Rename Update File
The next method that you can follow to fix the Discord updated failed issue is, you can rename the update file and try to update the app. This is another effective method that you can follow to solve the problem. Renaming the update file will force to creation new update file for Discord. So, if anything is wrong with the update file, it’ll fix the issue. You can try out this simple method and solve the update error or update loop issue on Discord. Just follow the below methods to rename the update file of Discord.
- First of all, open Run on your Windows PC. You can open Run from the search bar of Windows, or you can simply press the Windows+R key and it’ll open Run.
- Now type %localappdata% in the Run box, and hit enter.
- Select Discord folder from the option.
- In the Discord folder, you’ll find the update.exe file. You have to rename the file to solve the issue.
- Just right-click on the file and rename it. You can rename it to Discord2.exe.
- That’s it. Now, open the Discord app, and try to update it.
That’s how you can rename the update file of Discord and solve the issue.
6. Change Internet Connection
The next method that you can try to fix the update error on Discord is, you can change your current Internet connection, and try to update the Discord app. If the Internet connection that you are using is not stable, then it can cause the update error loop on your Windows PC. So, you have to change the connection and see if you are able to solve the issue or not. If you are using a Wi-fi connection on your PC, then you can try changing the Wi-fi connection, or use a mobile data connection to update the Discord app.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall Discord
This is an ultimate fix that you can try to solve the update failed issue on Discord. You have to uninstall the Discord app completely from your PC and install the latest version of the Discord app. Usually, we uninstall an app from the control panel uninstall option of Windows 10. However, if you want to uninstall or delete Discord completely from your PC, you have to do other things as well. Just follow the below steps to do that.
Step 1 – Uninstall the Discord app from Control Panel
- First, you have to open the Control Panel option on your PC and then click on the Uninstall a Program option. If you are using Windows 10 PC, you can open Settings>Apps and then select the Discord app from there.
- Click on Uninstall to uninstall Discord from your PC.
- Complete the uninstall process.
That’s it. However, it’ll not completely remove Discord files from your PC. You have to remove the Discord folders from other sources as well to remove them completely on your PC. Just follow the below process to do that.
Step 2 – Delete Discord Appdata Folder
Now, you have to delete the Discord folder from the Appdata option on your Windows PC. You can easily do that by following the below steps.
- First of all, open Run on your PC. You can either open it from the Search option of Windows 10, or you can simply press Windows Key+R to open Run.
- Now, type %appdata% in the Run box and hit enter.
- There, you’ll find the Discord folder. Simply right-click on the Discord folder and delete it.
Now, you have to delete the Discord folder from another option. Just follow the below steps to delete it from another source as well.
Step 3 – Delete Discord Localappdata Folder
After you delete the Discord folder from Appdata, you have to delete it from Localappdata as well. So, you can do it easily by following the below steps. The steps are similar to the previous steps. So, you’ll be able to do that easily without any issues.
- Open Run on your Windows PC. Press Windows Key+R to open it quickly.
- Now, enter %localappdata% in the run box, and hit enter.
- From the option, simply delete the Discord folder.
- That’s it. Now, close the option and restart your PC.
That’s how you can completely remove discord from your Windows PC.
Step 4 – Reinstall Discord
After you successfully uninstall Discord from your Windows PC and delete the Discord folders, you have to reinstall the Discord app. If you have an old setup of Discord available on your PC, don’t install it. Just open the Discord official website, and download the latest version of the Discord app from there. Now, install the app on your PC, and log in with your account. When you install the latest version of Discord, it’ll not ask for any update. So, with this method, you’ll be able to solve Discord update failed successfully on your Windows PC.
How to Fix Discord Update Failed Error Loop on Mac?
If you are facing the update failed issue of Discord on your Mac, you can also solve the issue easily on your Mac. Below, we have described the method to solve the issue on your Mac. So, you can follow the steps, and solve the discord update error issue on your Mac.
- First of all, close the Discord process by pressing the command+q button.
- Now, search for the two folders below, and delete them.
That’s it. Now, download Discord again on your Mac, and install it. You’ll be able to fix the Discord update failed issue successfully on your Mac.
The update error issue in Discord is an annoying issue. However, it is easy to fix the issue if you follow the steps correctly. Above, we have tried our best to describe the possible fixes to fix the update error issue on Discord. So, you can just follow the above steps and solve the issue easily on your Windows PC or Mac. If you have any questions or queries, you can ask them in the comment section below. You can also provide your feedback in the comment section.