Test automation is a part of the software development realm. This process includes the use of specialized software tools and test scripts for testing and verifying software that is newly created or under construction.
Automation of the testing process reduces manual intervention, and the specialized software does the jobs of a human tester. The main goal of test automation is to make the process of software testing more efficient and hassle-free.
In this article, we will discuss low-code test automation.
Let’s understand how this works and what are its benefits. We will also compare this with the traditional test automation technique.
Table of Contents
What is Low Code Test Automation?
As the name indicates, low code test automation is a software testing process where such software tools are used to create test scripts and automate them with very little manual coding.
The tools used in this type of test automation facilitate the users to create and manage test cases using simple interfaces like drag and drop or point and click.
Features of Low Code Test Automation
Several key features make low code test automation a popular choice for testers and developers:
Visual Test Design
In automated tests such as low cost, software testers design and configure tests using the visual interface of the tools.
These testing software tools create test scenarios and define the steps of the test by selecting the components or actions.
The tools have a library from where the test elements are selected and used.
One of the best things about these platforms is that the test codes made by the previous users are available to use by anyone in the created libraries on the platform.
This feature causes so much ease to those who are new and have less experience in software development and testing.
Testers create libraries of reusable test libraries and make them available to other users. This adds to the point of sustainability of these tools.
Rapid Test Creation
Since low code test automation involves less coding and more drag-and-drop work, the testing process becomes fast.
The test scenarios are built easily with more speed and accuracy.
The user interface interaction, data-driven testing, and defining test logic get automated and rapid using these tools.
Most of these testing software are accessible through different platforms and devices.
Automated tests are seamlessly incorporated into the software development cycle.
These tools can be integrated with other testing tools and CI/CD pipelines.
This feature makes these tools more reliable and a good choice to consider.
Although these software are called low code, and one of their components is codeless testing, some tools do generate a few codes in the background to make the process of software testing more efficient.
The community of these platforms is vast.
The users come from different backgrounds. Being low code, these tools are not only available but also comprehensive to various classes of software developers, including novices.
Low Code Automation and Codeless Testing: The Relationship
Low-code test automation is a broader concept that incorporates various tools to reduce manual scripting.
The interaction, user interface, library, and other automation components are all part of it.
Codeless testing is also a part of this package.
This can be labelled as the most user-friendly subset of low-code testing. This does not involve coding or scripting for software testing.
Although this part of the testing tool has its limitations, it is effective in most of the test script generations.
The Process: How Does Test Automation Work in Low Code
The process starts with choosing a tool and then scripting, and then the rest of the steps follow.
The following are the steps involved:
- Selection of a low code automation tool for the testing of a particular software.
- Then, in the software, users/ testers design the test script visually. They drag and drop required elements according to the nature of the test from the library.
- Then, the test steps are defined using the predefined actions of the automation software, such as navigating web pages, entering data, and validating the elements of the user interface.
- Then, the test parameters are configured. This step allows testers to verify the functionality and efficiency of the software in different situations.
- Test cases are made as per which the software is tested for its cross-platform and cross-browsing capacities.
- Such tools are incorporated with continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines. This tests how sealless the software is.
- Various test scenarios are scripted or designed. Using these scenarios, the efficiency, vulnerability, and other features are thoroughly checked.
- As the tests continue, the tools note the results and create reports based on which further development and testing are planned.
- These tools run continuous testing so that the real potential and flaws of the software can be labelled.
- If a test is failed, the result can be reviewed on these tools, and further actions can be planned and executed.
- These tools not only point out and rectify potential issues but also modify, update, and maintain the tests so that the purpose of the test is achieved.
Factors to Consider While Running a Low Code Test Automation
When you run automated software testing using low code automation software, you should consider a few points that can make your testing effective:
- Understand the specific need of a particular software and determine tests according to the objective of the project.
- Select a tool that aligns with the nature of the test that you have determined.
- Please focus on the high-impact areas of the software and design test scenarios meant for them so that you get the best test results.
- Manage your test result data efficiently, as that is the most crucial asset in further development of the software.
- Implement effective error-handling mechanisms in the scripts so that the reasons for test failure can be comprehended and the script can be modified easily.
The low-cost test automation has simplified the software testing process.
The test scripts and scenarios can be made with utmost ease and clarity, and the results are totally reliable.
The fact that these testing techniques require very little or no coding makes it exceptionally comprehensive and accessible.
Those with minimal experience and expertise can consider their trial in software development and testing.
These testing techniques have reduced the hassles exponentially, which makes these a vital asset in the software development scene.