Discord is one of the most popular platforms that users use to communicate. Specially, gamers who plays games on PC, communicates with other players on Discord. Discord has many features in it. You can use it as a complete social media platform. You can join different channels on Discord, send messages, photos, videos etc on this platform. However, one of the most common features of Discord is, you can communicate with other members with real time voice chatting. For that, you’ll need a mic to send voice chats. However, there are many users who have faced Discord not detecting mic issue.
So, if you are facing the same issue, you can easily fix it. Below, we have described how to fix Discord not detecting mic issue easily. Sometimes, while doing love voice chat’s, it may not detect the mic. So, to fix the issue, you can just follow the below steps. Below, we have described how you can fix this issue easily. There are many gamers who use Discord for doing live voice chat communication with other players while playing a multiplayer game. And it becomes really problematic for the gamers when they face such issue. So, if you are facing this issue, just follow the below steps to fix it easily. You can also check out How to Fix Discord Update Failed loop on your PC.
Why Discord Not Detecting Mic?
There could be many reasons why it’s not detecting the mic. Most of the users faces this issue on Windows PC. If you are using Discord on a Windows PC, you may have used an external mic, or the built-in mic of the headphone for communicating. If you are using Discord on a laptop, the built-in mic of the laptop will help you to send the voice chats. However, if it’s not working, there can be several issues. Below, we have described some of these issues.
- Faulty Mic: The most common and obvious reason why Discord is not detecting mic is maybe because of the faulty mic. If the mic is faulty, then you Discord, even the Windows OS won’t detect the mic. If you are using an external dedicated mic or the built-in mic of your headphone, then the mic could be a faulty one.
- Driver issue: You can also face this issue of there’s any driver issue on your Windows PC. Maybe the audio driver is corrupted and because of this, it’s not detecting the mic.
- Discod input audio mode: In Discord, there are options to select the right audio input and output. So, you can manually select the mic and speakers that you can use to send voices messages and listen to the messages. It could be the input mode problem as well why you are facing this issue on Discord.
- Server Issue: It could also be the server issue of Discord why you are facing the not detecting issue on Discord. Maybe the servers are down, and because of this, it is not able to send or receive the voice messages.
As you can see, there could be various reasons why you face the not detecting mic issue on Discord. However, below, we have described some of the solutions. So, you can follow the solutions, and fix this issue easily.
How to Fix Discord Not Detecting Mic Issue?
1. Restart your PC
The first thing that you need to do when you face the Discord not detecting mic issue is, you should restart your PC. There are many users who has reported that after restaring their PC, the problem was fixed. So, you should restart your PC and then check if Discord mic issue is fixed or not.
2. Log out from Discord and Login
The next thing that you should do is to log out from Discord, and login in your account again. It is an effective method to solve Discord not detecting mic issue. So, you should just logout from your Discord account, and login again. Then check, if the problem is solved or not.
To log out from Discord, follow the below steps.
- First, click on the Settings icon from the left side of Discord.
- When the user settings option opens, click on ‘Log Out’ from the bottom of the menu.
- That’s it. It’ll log out your account.
- After you log out your device, just sign-in again, and check if it’s working or not.
It’s an effective solution to fix the issue. So, you can try out and check if it’s working or not.
3. Reinsert your Mic
If the problem lies in the input jack of your Mic, you can plug out the mic, or headphone that you are using, and plug in again. Reinserting the mic will may detect the mic of Discord. So, you can reinsert the mic or headphone, which one you are using, and check if the problem is solved or not.
4. Check Discord Servers
As I said earlier, the problem also could be because of Discord server issue. So, the next steps is to check if Discord servers are online or not. If you are not able to send or receive voice messages on Discord, just check if the servers are working or not. It might fix the issue on Discord.
To check the Discord server status, you can simply go to https://discordstatus.com/ and check if all the servers are online or not. If it’s showing that there’s issue with the Discord servers, you should just wait until the server problem fixed and check later.
5. Run Discord as Administrator
If you are not running Discord application on your Windows PC as administrator, then you can also face this problem. So, you should run Discord as admin and check if you are able to communicate with the mic or not. Follow the below steps to run it as Administrator.
- Just right click on the Discord icon and click on ‘Run as administrator’. It’ll open Discord as administrator.
- If you want to open it next time as Administrator by default, right click on the Discord icon, and then click on ‘Properties’.
- Now, go to the ‘Compablity’ tab and check the ‘Run this programme as administrator’ option.
That’s it. Now, apply the settings and check if Mic is working or not on Discord.
6. Allow Discord to use Microphone
On Windows 10, there’s an option to grant access to the Microphone to specific applications. You can choose which apps should use the Mic of your PC, and which not. So, if you are facing Discord not detecting mic issue, you should check if Discord has the permission to use the Mic on your Windows PC. You can easily check it, and provide permission to allow the mic on Discord.
Below, we have described how you can check if Discord has the permission to get access to the mic.
- First, open Settings option on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, go to ‘Privacy’ option from there.
- In the Privacy option, you’ll get a section for ‘App Permission’. In that section, choose ‘Microphone’ option.
- Now, make sure you have enabled ‘Allow apps to access your Microphone’ on your PC.
- Scroll down, and you’ll see the option to choose which apps should use Microphone on your PC.
- Enable Discord from there to provide access to Discord to use your mic.
That’s it. Now, it’ll allow discord to use your Mic. Now, check if the problem is solved or not.
7. Update Driver
If Discord is not detecting mic on your Windows PC, you should update the audio driver of your Windows PC and check if it’s working or not. Sometimes, the audio driver can get corrupted on your PC. So, you should update the drivers, and check if it’s detecting mic or not. Just follow the below process to update the audio driver on your Windows PC. Below, we have described how you can update the driver on your Windows PC. So, follow the steps to do that.
- First, right click on This PC option, and click on Manage.
- Now, go to Device Manager option from there.
- In the Device manager tab, go to Sound, video and game controllers option.
- Now, click on the audio driver, and go to the Drivers tab.
- Then, click on ‘Update Driver>Search automatically for drivers’.
- That’s it. Now, it’ll search for any driver update. Just wait until it updates the driver.
- After updating the drivers, check if Discord mic is working or not.
So, that’s how you can update the audio driver, and solve the mic not working issue on Discord.
8. Check Voice Settings in Discord
If you are using Discord application on Windows, you’ll get the option to customize input audio devices in the app. So, you can choose and select which audio input should you use in Discord and then use the mic for voice communication. There are options to select both the input device and output device. So, if the chosen intput device isn’t correct, it’ll not detect the mic. And, you’ll not be able to communicate with the mic on Discord. So, you should check the input device and fix it. Follow the below process to do it.
- First, open Discord application on your PC.
- Now, click on the Settings option from the left corner.
- In the user settings option, click on Voice and Video.
- Now, you’ll get the option to change voice settings. Make sure you have selected the right input device in the voice settings option.
- Make sure to make the Input volume full.
- You can also do the mic test and check if your mic is working or not.
After selecting the right input device, it’ll detect the mic on your Windows PC. So, you’ll be able to solve the mic not working issue on Discord easily without any issues.
9. Reset Voice Settings
In the voice and video section of Discord, you’ll get various advanced voice settings that you can customize according to your choice. You can customize the option and make the voice chats clear. However, for some reasons, if the problem is with the voice and video settings, you can reset the voice settings, and solve the issue. It is easy to reset the voice settings. You can just follow the below steps to do that.
- First, open Discord application on your PC.
- Now, go to the Settings option from the left side.
- Go to Voice and Video settings option from there.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom and you’ll get the ‘Reset Voice Settings’ option.
- Click on it to reset the voice settings.
That’s it. It’ll reset the voice settings. Now, check if the mic is working or not.
10. Reinstall Discord
Last, but not the least option is to uninstall Discord and install the Discord application again on your Windows PC. Reinstalling the Discord application on your PC will reset the settings. So, it’ll fix if there’s any corrupt file issue or if there’s any settings issue on your PC. So, you can reinstall the Discord app and check if the mic is working or not.
Just uninstall it from the Control Panel of your Windows PC, and then download the latest version of Discord from their website. Now, install the Discord application on your PC, and check if the mic is working or not. This is one of the most effective solutions that you can try to fix Discord not detecting mic issue on your PC. You can easily solve this issue on your PC and get the mic working on Discord. Just reinstall, and check if it’s working or not.
So, guys, I hope you have found this guide helpful. If you liked this guide, you can share it on your social media platforms. Just use the share buttons below to share this guide. Above, we have tried to describe how you can solve mic related issue on Discord. So, you can just follow the above steps, and do that easily on your PC. There are various ways to solve the issue on your PC. So, you can easily fix it and solve the issue. If you have any question or queries, you can ask them in the comment section below. You can also provide your feedback in the comment section.